Today's an exciting day: my first pattern release! Please note that I draw my patterns freehand, so they won't be fancy software-created versions--but they do the trick.
After sewing this little dress for my darling daughter, I just knew I needed some of that fabric for my own. Both the beautiful purple and coral floral lace and coral Ponte de Roma fabric (which lines my dress) are from Girl Charlee. The floral is on an unbeatable sale, so catch it before it's gone!
While deciding on a style of dress, I knew I wanted a bit of a free, boho-style look. Yet, I'm a bit of a "fancy" dress wearer, so I wanted something that fulfilled both. The end result: I love it! I can't tell you how glorious it feels to have the fabric swishing around me as I walk (it's lined in this coral Ponte de Roma fabric; super soft!). And when I decide to take a tea break, I can tie a coordinating belt around my waist, and I'm set. Two of my favorite dresses in one.
So--onto the instructions!
Print and assemble (tape) your pattern pieces.
This pattern is a size "small." To draft your own, take a more fitted dress or t-shirt and create the top portion. I like the fitted style to remain just below the armpit. After that, I draw a pretty wide diagonal to get the boho look.
Cut out your main lace fabric pieces and lining (or just main fabric if not lining or using the lace as a cover-up).
If you're lining, you should have two front pieces (main and lining) and two back (main and lining). Now, you're going to attach the main to the lining, right sides facing. Do not sew the shoulder seams, but sew around the neck and armpits. You can also sew down the sides, but it will create a bit more bulk when sewing the front to the back. I did sew down the sides just to hold the fabric down a bit more, and I don't mind the bulk!
Now you should have the front and a back pieces of your dress, fully lined.
With right sides together, pin the front to the back of the dress, including shoulder seams. Especially when using slippery or lace materials, more pinning is typically helpful.
Now sew together and finish the shoulder seams, followed by your side seams. Press all seams nicely to get the best drape, especially with knits.
I add a wide hem to this dress for looks. Before hemming, try the dress on, and decide how far up you want to hem. I typically like my dresses knee-length, so I made this one a little above my knee to get more of that free-spirit boho look.
The final step is just giving a final press, adding tags, and getting into that dress!












No comments:
Post a Comment