I'm daily sewing, whether it be for my girls, family, my Kutti Couture line, or for me. My new, upcycled sari venture is one that is nearest and dearest to me.
Since a very young age, I felt connected to past generations and to a variety of cultures around the world. To think that we could recycle and "up"cycle clothing of women on the other side of the would astounds me. These could have been the high of their caste or low of their caste, Indian relatives, or sweepers. Regardless of who these women were, we know that their saris were a symbol of elegance to any class/caste.
One long piece of ornate fabric typically costs many hundreds of dollars. I hesitate every time I cut into these beautiful materials. Yet I know that spreading the fabric around the world not only allows it to be recycled; it helps carry part of a culture and part of a single life with it.
Here is my first addition to the line:
You can purchase this silken sari top at my Etsy store here.
Happy creating!
Jennifer @ KuttiCouture
Since a very young age, I felt connected to past generations and to a variety of cultures around the world. To think that we could recycle and "up"cycle clothing of women on the other side of the would astounds me. These could have been the high of their caste or low of their caste, Indian relatives, or sweepers. Regardless of who these women were, we know that their saris were a symbol of elegance to any class/caste.
One long piece of ornate fabric typically costs many hundreds of dollars. I hesitate every time I cut into these beautiful materials. Yet I know that spreading the fabric around the world not only allows it to be recycled; it helps carry part of a culture and part of a single life with it.
Here is my first addition to the line:
You can purchase this silken sari top at my Etsy store here.
Happy creating!
Jennifer @ KuttiCouture




No comments:
Post a Comment