Monday, March 9, 2015

How to Sew a Button Using a Machine - Singer Simple

When I've asked various sewists how to use a sewing machine to sew on a button, I get the same response: you mean a buttonhole? Sigh. I did mean...the actual button.

I realize that to many, stitching a button by hand is a piece of cake. However, I'm typically at my machine every day and love the finished look a machine creates. Plus, it's one less needle I have to get out :)

So after a bit of research and practice, I learned that we can indeed sew our buttons using our sewing machines; and, it's simple! My machine is the Singer Simple, but the instructions will work for all/most machines.


  • Move your feed dogs (the little teeth on your thread plate) to the lower position. For some Singer machines, this will be a function at the back of your sewing machine; for mine (Simple), you'll see the up and down arrows and move the the lever so the arrows are pointed down. This may not register until you move your needle.

  • Remove your traditional pressure foot.

  • Replace with a button presser foot (this comes free with many machines).

  • Select a large zigzag or button stitch on your machine. For the Simple, I use "D," and it fits the buttons I have tried to date. 

  • Place your garment with button under the pressure foot. Move the needle so it aligns with the left hole in your button. Put your presser foot down on the button (don't sew yet).

  • Use the manual arm to manually stitch back and forth a few times until you're sure the needle aligns with your buttonholes. 

  • Once you're aligned, let the machine stitch the rest until you're satisfied with the amount of stitches and look of the button.

  • End with the needle in the left side of the button, and change your machine to a straight stitch. Stitch up and down a few times to secure the button in place.



  • Cut your threads and admire your finished button!


Happy sewing! Be sure to leave a comment with your latest button projects!
Jennifer @ KuttiCouture

No comments:

Post a Comment